Monday 11 April 2016

H: The lighthouse on the rocks is so tall. One fine day, I'll return once more!

         Peggy's Cove No. 1 (of 2)
         -- by H (then a 9-year-old Grade 3 student)
                    written on-site on June 26, 2014.** 
       
          When I went to Peggy's Cove
        It was raining, it was cold...
        Into the ocean I wished I'd dove.
        
        Now I am very, very small;
        The lighthouse on the rocks is so tall.
          One fine day, I'll return once more! 

        (When I went to Peggy's Cove
        It was raining, it was cold...)

Peggy's Cove lighthouse  **The iconic red-and-white lighthouse at Peggy's Cove, about an hour's drive from Halifax and built in 1868, is the best known lighthouse in Canada and one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world. (The photo showing "Peggy's Point Lighthouse" here is copied from tripadvisor.com. 加拿大东部新斯科舍省的首府成哈利法克斯佩姬湾)  The history of the lighthouse is little known. There are several versions. The light is a white octagonal concrete tower, 50 feet (15 m) high. Peggy is of course the nickname for Margaret. The community there might have acquired the name from nearby "Saint Margaret's Bay", as the point marks the entrance to the bay in Nova Scotia. 
The story board showing what is where. (Photo also from tripadvisor.com.) 

  (following 2 scenic photos from widget.renren.com)
I am glad that, at my insistence during lunch last Sunday, I was finally able to retrieve the above "original" version of my granddaughter's Peggy's Cove Poem No. 1 (of 2) --  then written on-site some two years ago with some help from you-know-who -- straight from the long-neglected 'Evernote' section of my daughter's cell phone. I was somewhat surprised that it was also supposed to be sync'ed to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars!" At the time, the young poets thought if only we had 7-8 syllables in each line, we could perhaps pull it off. (Ah, Some childish thinking... in any case, we did try. hahaa!)

Places of interest... an example: (following photos and texts copied from wikipedia --)
Citadel Hill or the Halifax Citadel (aka Fort George, named after King George II of Great Britain) in Halifax, Nova Scotia. ("The hill was first fortified in 1749, the year the town of Halifax was founded. Those fortifications on the hill were successively rebuilt to defend the town from various enemies...")
78th Highlanders - Contemporary Re-enactors, at Citadel Hill.
Firing of the noon gun at Fort George.

No comments:

Post a Comment