Saturday 9 November 2013

Mr. Chan Is My Inspiration, I’ve Re-affirmed My Resolutions –

Mr.  Chan Is My Inspiration,
I’ve Re-affirmed My Resolutions –

     (Now that migratory bird's settled down
      Temporarily in its old home-town... )


Over the last few days I’ve been
Resuming my daily routine
Of morning walks in the nearby park
Where there is some not-so-'new' land-mark.
They're some fitness equipment outdoor
To encourage partic’pation more.

Then I meet Mr. Chan again,
My (former) “three-legged” old friend!
In his favourite haunt, the park green,
I am pleased when he is “first seen”
After a lapse of some years three –
But he just can’t remember me.

I'm also delighted to see
The petite '98!' lady
Working out beside her faithful maid
In the park almost every day!


When I see Mr. Chan and his maid
This morning slowly coming my way,
I am quite saddened by the sight –
For he’s now walking with “legs six”!
What! A “six-legged” man moving forth?
His own two legs plus the walker’s four!

His leg muscles began to fail
O’er the last year; both legs frail –
Mr. Chan’s walking-stick-days had gone.
His new “walker” he must rely on.
But that’s just for a short distance –
For longer hauls, the wheelchair’s the norm.

Why I didn’t find you here last year?
“I came at a different hour here.”
Mr. Chan simply can’t recall
Our “walking-in-the-park” at all.
“I am eighty-years old this year.”
(O mine, I thought he “was” my junior.)

Birds are chirping, others on the wing;
We chat and chat about most things.
Though Mr. Chan’s face is wrinkled,
In his eyes there’s a bright sparkle!
By late morning, we both have to part;
Mr. Chan’s a real fighter at heart.

Our physical abilities frail
Over time are certain to fail.
With one’s fighting spirit undying,
No one should ever cease trying
To keep fighting and fighting hard
For our dreams: Things dear to our heart.

Mr. Chan is my inspiration,
I’ve re-affirmed my resolutions –
I will start just from a small way
To exercise EVERY DAY!

And with my dear wife hand-in-hand,
We’ll walk this land, till the very end,
In our bitter-sweet journey of life –
To continue “fighting the good fight”!

For from morn to noon to even --
Forgive, we shall be forgiven;
Be kind, kindness we’ll be given.

We receive when we are giving;
With great Love, life is worth living!

For it is written: In this life –
In DYING, we put DEATH to flight,

We’re born into Eternal Life!


No comments:

Post a Comment