Friday 18 October 2013

The Whispering Stranger Seated Next to Carla (1 of 2 …)


The Whispering Stranger Seated Next to
Carla on the Plane  (Part 1 of 2 …)


After a long cruise and a week in Rome,
My wife and I were glad to return home.
High in the sky, "giant roc" hurled itself forth
From Barcelona to (Toronto via) Montreal.
On a very crowded TRANSAT plane
Most of the passengers tried to sleep in vain.


To keep at bay possible deep-vein blood clot,
With an "imagined assailant" I fought. 
It would be an eight-hour long flight, you see;
I "sparred" with the air in extreme slow motion --
Not to raise any 'fearful emotion'
From the young woman seated next to me.


Reading a book, my quiet "next-seat lady"
Surprised me somewhat as I was not ready
To answer her sudden question: "Why your hand
Was shaking like so when you had it extend'd?"
Training my 'internal energy' I've been --
And I was impressed by her perception keen.


"O? You could boost your energy just like that?"
First, know that you can feel your own energy!
Rub your palms vigorously together -- like so --
Place them close to each other, but don't forget                          
If they touch you won’t feel your flow of energy --
For then the 'qi' flows inside and you won't know.


As soon as she felt the warmth and strong tingling
In her palms, her jaws dropped down, her eyes op'ned.
Her face lit up with amazement and awe,
Her mouth assumed the shape of an oval ‘O’:
"How does this work? Can you teach me at all?"
Yes, I can but it'll take you years of training.


Einstien 'shows' that balls of energy we all are,
With his famous E= mc2** formula...
However, before I could say anything more,
My Love -- who was seated in front of me
Turned her head and -- gave us a BIG "Sheee!!"

Not to disturb my wife, I could talk no more.

M'wife put on the eye-covers, tried to have a nap.
The young woman looked at me again in the eyes;
I looked back at hers and simply shook my head.
But then something just ‘clicked’ in my mind --
O! The three English articles in my net-book
Which, from beneath my own seat, out I took.  


I opened the files on the true Hong Kong stories:
They are "Good-bye, My 7-Minute Friend!"
And "Chance Encounter with a Three-Legged Man",
Depicting man's fighting spirits and glory --
How to train and walk till one's feet are weary,
How the path to success is rather teary.
 
Without a sound, she slowly read the stories long,
Line by line, patiently, stopping here and there.
But in English comprehension she wasn’t so strong;
She'd pause and look this way with a question in her eyes.
I motioned to her: Let the vocabularies pass by --
One could only take in so much somehow, somewhere.

                                                             (... to be Continued)

 ** E= mc2:

1. This most famous formula stands for "E(negery) = M(ass) x the Speed of Light (C) squared."
2. This means that if one takes the Mass of an object and multiplies it by the Speed of Light (2.9 x 10^8 metres per second), one will then have calculated the amount of tremendous Energy released.

3. In short, Matter = Energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment