Friday 5 April 2013

杜甫 飄飄何所似,天地一沙鷗。 Now released, what am I like drifting in the wind? A speck of a sand-gull, between heav'n and earth seen!

【旅夜書懐 】   杜甫
 


細草微風岸,   危檣獨夜舟 
星垂平野闊   月湧大江流
名豈文章著   官應老病休
飄飄何所似   天地一沙鷗


LU YE SHU : "One Night on My Journey Writing about My Feelings" 
-- by DU FU(712-770)

-- Translated by Frank C Yue

Blow'ng gently ashore, the breeze bends small grass in sight;
Sleepless, I'm in a lone boat with tall mast at night.
The vast plain seems much wider beneath the starry dome;
The moon swims amidst the great river's watery foam.
Has all my fame solely on all my poems depend'd?
With old age and ill health, all official posts should end.
Now released, what am I like drifting in the wind?
A speck of a sand-gull, between heav'n and earth seen!



Translator's Note:

Du Fu was unable to realize his political ideals in court and forced to return to his village with his family upon royal cessation of his official appointment, due to  admonishments by jealous high officials; he was neither too old nor in ill health then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment