Wednesday 24 April 2013

曹操 對酒當歌,人生幾何? O Let's all drink and sing our song -- In your life could you live years long?

【短歌行】其一   東漢 曹操

對酒當歌, 人生幾何?
譬如朝露, 去日苦多。
慨當以慷, 憂思難忘。
何以解憂? 唯有杜康。

.....
 

DUAN GE XING: "Short Song Walk"
-- by CAO CAO (155-220)
-

- Translated by Frank C Yue 

O Let's all drink and sing our song --
In your life could you live years long?
Just like the transient morning dew,
Gone my sufferings, but more are due.
I will live my life to the full
Though worries are around me, too.
What can one do to be care-free?
Only answer -- Come, drink with me!

.....


杜康 : 古时 杜康 造酒


【短歌行】其一   東漢 · 曹操

對酒當歌, 人生幾何?
譬如朝露, 去日苦多。
慨當以慷, 憂思難忘。
何以解憂? 唯有杜康。


青青子衿,悠悠我心。
但為君故,沈吟至今。
呦呦鹿鳴,食野之苹。

我有嘉賓,鼓瑟吹笙。
明明如月,何時可輟?

憂從中來,不可斷絕。
越陌度阡,枉用相存。

契闊談讌,心念舊恩。
月明星稀,烏鵲南飛,

繞樹三匝,何枝可依?
山不厭高,海不厭深。

周公吐哺,天下歸心

5 comments:

  1. Hi Frank, glad to read your translation. Your translation was very easy to understand in its expression. Can I use it in a textbook that I am writing and attributed to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am puzzled with the meaning of 譬如朝露,去日苦多。(朝露 is short, then 去日苦多?) I try to read it as "對酒當歌, 人生幾何?譬如朝露". stop then, "去日苦多, 慨當以慷, 憂思難忘。" stop then, 何以解憂? 唯有杜康。Wasted days have been painfully so many...(去日苦多the author was very anxious to accomplish his ambition....) I am not sure reading this way make any sense at all??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am a university student who is studying translation in Hong Kong. The meaning of 朝露 is use as a metaphor, to compare with what we call "人生" in Chinese. The upper paragraph bring up a question which is how often can we drink happily in our life, and 譬如朝露,去日苦多 this paragraph is just like the answer--life is short like a morning dew, plus, CaoCao had suffered in this short life. So 譬如朝露,去日苦多 must be a complete sentence. What is more, it is the correct way to read a Yuefu poem as there must be a same pattern of words in every single paragraph.

      Delete
  3. Sir/Miss,who are you? Can you give me more information about yourself,please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your translated version! please give me an oppurtunity to contact with you. I really want to know your tips during solving some challenges in Eglish translation of Chinese poems . I am a postgraduate students in Yunnan Province. My major is English Translation.

      Delete